Adakant Enterprise produces and aggregates agricultural commodities from smallholder farmers for processing industries. It is the largest aggregator and supplier of rice to Procom Company Limited and Avanas Company Limited. Adakant was awarded District Best Livestock Farmer in 1996 and Regional Best Farmer in 2002. The company supplies maize, groundnut, rice and soybean to the local markets in and across the region. It also provides its out-growers with agro-inputs and services such as seed cleaning, as well as markets for their produce. Adakant works with 2,010 smallholder out-growers (of which 80% are women) across six districts, with each farmer cultivating an average of 2 acres. Adakant joined the MADE programme in 2015 and has aggregated 33,350 MT of rice, 25,500 MT of groundnuts and 6,000 MT of maize over the past four years.
- Recruited, trained and deployed nine Farm Enterprise Advisors (FEAs) and one FEA manager.
- Facilitated links with tractor services.
- Introduced insurance for farmers.
- Facilitated linkages with extension services from the Ministry of Food and Agriculture for remote, underserved farmers.
- Provided demonstrations and training (good agricultural practices, rules in planting and use of agro-inputs).
- Facilitated commercial partnerships with other MADE partners (Savanna Agri Chains Limited and Abenyeri Farms).
- Increased smallholder outreach from 450 in 2014 to 2,010 in 2019.
- Increased access to inputs, credit and markets for Adakant Enterprise and its smallholders.
- Increased understanding of good agricultural practices and proper application of agro-inputs.
- Facilitated timely supply and application of inputs.
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholders.
- Increased rice yields for smallholder farmers from an average of 8 to 25 bags (100 kg) per acre, and increased groundnut yields from 4 to 12 bags (100 kg) per acre, between 2014 and 2019.