Agromite Limited provides a full package of goods and services, including production inputs, mechanisation services and market access, to smallholder farmers. The company’s main crops are maize and soya beans. These are aggregated using the Agricultural Cluster Service Enterprise Model – an innovative out-grower model which ensures that all the goods and services are provided on a commercially viable basis. The company provides demonstrations on conservation agricultural practices on an annual basis. Agromite joined the MADE programme in 2018. It employs eight Farm Enterprise Advisors (FEAs), of which five were facilitated by MADE.
- Worked with Agromite to recruit, train and deploy five FEAs.
- Facilitated regional consultations.
- Helped to increase the number of contracted farmers from 620 to 1,264.
- Helped to facilitate the aggregation of around 50,000 mini bags of maize (up from 10,000 mini bags) and about 6,000 mini bags of soybeans.
- Helped smallholder farmers to increase their yields from about 2.5 tonnes per hectare to 4 tonnes per hectare for maize and from 1.8 tonnes per hectare to 3.0 tonnes per hectare for soybeans.
- Facilitated the use of improved seeds, better mechanisation services and post-harvest activities, and more timely land preparation.