Akandem Farms Limited aggregates maize, soya beans, groundnuts, rice and vegetables from 2,358 out-growers in three districts. The company provides the smallholder farmers with agricultural inputs and tractor services, investing more than GHS 4,750,000 in this support in 2018. The average size of the farms supported is 3.9 acres and 41% of the smallholder farmers are women. Akandem Farms has two warehouses, with a combined capacity of 330 MT, for storing produce; using the warehouse receipt scheme, this facility can help reduce post-harvest crop losses. The company joined the MADE programme in 2018.
- Worked with Akandem Farms to recruit, train and deploy 10 Farm Enterprise Advisors.
- Facilitated commercial partnerships between Akandem Farms and enterprises offering complementary agro-input services; for example, Johil Farmer Solutions.
- Introduced the Advanced Model, which helped Akandem Farms to identify and provide an integrated bundle of inputs and services to increase crop yields and productivity.
- Increased the number of contracted smallholder farmers from 1,442 in 2017 to 2,358 in 2018 – a rise of 64%.
- Facilitated more timely application of a wide range of agro-inputs on smallholder farms through improved service provision.
- Increased smallholders’ access to agro-inputs on credit.
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholder farmers.