Akandem Farms Limited aggregates maize, soybean, groundnut, rice and vegetables from 2,358 out-growers in three districts. The company provides the smallholder farmers with agricultural inputs and tractor services, investing more than GHS 4,750,000 in this support in 2018. The average size of the farms supported is 3.9 acres and 41% of the smallholder farmers are women. Akandem Farms has two warehouses, with a combined capacity of 330 MT, for storing produce; using the warehouse receipt scheme, this facility can help reduce post-harvest crop losses. The company joined the MADE programme in 2018.
- Worked with Akandem Farms to recruit, train and deploy 10 Farm Enterprise Advisors.
- Facilitated commercial partnerships between Akandem Farms and enterprises offering complementary agro-input services; for example, Johil Farmer Solutions.
- Introduced the Advanced Model, which enabled Akandem Farms to offer a bundle of inputs and services to smallholder farmers.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 1,442 in 2017 to 2,358 in 2018 – a rise of 64%.
- Increased smallholders’ access to agro-inputs on credit.
- Facilitated more timely application of a wide range of agro-inputs on smallholder farms through improved service provision.
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholder farmers.