Katuami Company Limited produces maize, soybeans and rice, and provides mechanisation services. The company operates mainly in Mion District in the Northern Region. Katuami has engaged 800 smallholder farmers, of whom about 20% are women. Each farmer cultivates at least 3 acres. The company provides tractor services and facilitates access to input credit and aggregation services. The partnership with the MADE programme started in 2018 and Katuami has since aggregated 6,000 MT of produce.
- Recruited, trained and deployed three Farm Enterprise Advisors to interact with smallholder farmers on modern farming practices.
- Provided ploughing service support to farmers.
- Supported underserved farmers using extension services from the Ministry of Food and Agriculture to acquire tractor services.
- Facilitated relationships with other MADE partners, such as MS Bonsu.
- Provided demonstrations and training on new varieties of seeds to maximise yield.
- Facilitated and strengthened commercial partnerships with other enterprises, such as Trade Ghana.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 600 farmers to 800 farmers over a one-year period.
- Increased access to inputs, credit and markets through facilitation with other support enterprises and market buyers.
- Increased understanding of good agricultural practices and proper application of agro-inputs.
- Facilitated the timely application of inputs.
- Increased yields from 3 to 10 bags (200 kg) per acre for maize and 1 to 7 bags (200 kg) per acre for soybean.