OSDA Enterprise is an input dealer supplying inputs to smallholder farmers who produce maize, rice, soybean, cowpea and vegetables. OSDA Enterprise operates in three districts: Bawku Municipal, Pusiga and Binduri, and works with 1,000 smallholder farmers, of whom about 32% are women; each farmer cultivates at least 3 acres. The enterprise was awarded a certificate by the Bolgatanga Municipal Agricultural Development Unit in 2013 for its contribution to the development of the agricultural sector. Reduction in post-harvest losses and improved yield are the key benefits that OSDA Enterprise have brought to smallholder farmers. The business joined the MADE programme in 2014 and supplied 116.8 MT of fertiliser to its smallholder farmers in 2019.
- Recruited, trained and deployed one Business Development Advisor to assist in planning and implementing pest- and disease-control measures.
- Invested in farm demonstrations to introduce new products, inputs and practices.
- Facilitated relationships with other MADE partners, such Vialaco and Yelsumde.
- Facilitated and strengthened commercial partnerships with other enterprises, such Tikola, Agriseed and Rainbow, to access complementary services.
- Facilitated links with tractor service providers.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 700 in 2013 to 1,000 in 2014.
- Increased access to inputs, credit and markets.
- Increased understanding of good agricultural practices and proper application of agro-inputs.
- Facilitated the timely application of inputs.
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholders.
- Increased maize yields from 5 to 10 bags (100 kg) per acre.