Osman Azeko Enterprises sells agro-inputs and chemicals to over 2,000 smallholder farmers (43% of whom are women) within the Bolgatanga and Bongo districts. The inputs are used to enhance productivity. The customers have landholdings of 1–3 hectares for both rain-fed and off-season production. The Managing Director of the business has won two separate awards: Regional Tomato Best Farmer in 2003 and National Tomato Best Farmer in 2004. Customers have access to farm advisory services, including after-sales services for assorted agro-inputs and chemicals procured for their farms. Some customers access input credit from the business and pay after harvest. The company joined the MADE programme in 2015 and has since aggregated 10,000 MT of produce.
- Recruited, trained and deployed three Business Development Advisors and one Farm Enterprise Advisor manager to supervise farmers.
- Facilitated links with tractor services.
- Provided demonstrations and training in good agricultural practices through crop demonstrations.
- Facilitated commercial partnerships with other enterprises such as Simple Prince Limited, Tikola Limited and Agriseed Limited.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 1,000 in 2014 to 2,000 in 2015.
- Increased business access to improved vegetable seed varieties from major suppliers.
- Increased smallholder farmers’ access to inputs, credit and markets.
- Increased understanding of good agricultural practices and the proper application of agro-inputs.
- Improved record keeping of business transactions.
- Increased maize yields from 20 to 50 bags (100 kg) per acre through the introduction of improved seed varieties.