Segrace Enterprise produces and aggregates maize and rice from smallholder farmers for processing industries. The company provides its out-growers with agro-inputs, such as fertilisers, and farm advisory services, such as ploughing, threshing and shelling. Segrace Enterprise works with 1,058 smallholder out-growers (of which 20% are women) in the Sene West District of Bono East Region. Each farmer cultivates at least 3 acres. Segrace was awarded Best Maize Farmer in 2016 and Best Rice Farmer in 2018. The company supplies Agricare Limited, Akate Farms and Premium Food with maize. It joined the MADE programme in 2018 and since then has aggregated 55,000 MT of produce.
- Recruited, trained and deployed two Farm Enterprise Advisors (FEAs) and one FEA manager, who train smallholder farmers in good agricultural practices and input distribution and monitor performance.
- Facilitated links with tractor services.
- Introduced insurance for farmers.
- Provided demonstrations and training on good agricultural practices and proper application of farm inputs.
- Facilitated relationships with other MADE partners, such Allah Is Able Agro Services and Okyerefo Consult, for the complementary supply of inputs and services.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 200 to 1,058 between 2017 and 2019.
- Increased smallholder farmers’ understanding of good agricultural practices and the proper and timely application of agro-inputs.
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholders.
- Increased yields for rice from 6 to 18 bags (150 kg) per acre.
- Enabled Segrace to support smallholder farmers with inputs, fertilisers, extension services and ready markets for the sale of produce.