SKY-3 Investments Limited is an agribusiness development enterprise and input dealer operating across the Bono East, Brong-Ahafo and Ashanti regions. Using out-grower schemes, the company works with smallholder farmers engaged in the cultivation of maize and also cassava and mangoes – grown by making use of the two cropping seasons in the middle belt of Ghana. SKY-3 provides tractor and agro-processing services using its wide range of machinery. It aggregates the crops produced and sells on to processors. SKY-3 joined the MADE programme in 2018 and in 2019 aggregated 105 MT of produce.
- Recruited, trained and deployed 15 Farm Enterprise Advisors (FEAs), and three FEA managers.
- Negotiated favourable terms and conditions with major input dealers, including RMG Ghana, enabling SKY-3 to stock up on agro-inputs for its smallholder farmers.
- Facilitated commercial relationships between SKY-3 and Yedent Limited, and Allah is Able.
- Introduced the Advanced Model: SKY-3 has invested in land preparation, improved seed, plant nutrition and protection, good agricultural practice and agro-processing.
- Increased smallholder farmer outreach from 1,500 in 2017 to 3,000 in 2018.
- Increased smallholder farmer access to inputs and services on credit.
- Increased understanding among smallholder farmers on the proper application and use of agro-inputs.
- Facilitated more timely application of agro-inputs on smallholder farms through improved service provision.
- Raised yields for smallholder farmers between 2018 and 2019: from 900 kg per acre to 1.8 MT per acre.