Tamaha Business Solutions produces and aggregates agricultural commodities (maize, soybean, millet and groundnut) from smallholder farmers for processing industries. It is the largest aggregator and supplier of maize to GAFCO Company Limited and soybean to ARASA Company Limited. The company provides its out-growers with agro-inputs and services such as ploughing, threshing, post-harvest recovery and markets for produce. Tamaha Business Solutions works with 2,400 smallholder out-growers (of which 43% are women) in six districts, with each smallholder cultivating on average 2 acres of land. Tamaha joined the MADE programme in 2018, and in 2019 aggregated 6,500 MT of soybean and 5,100 MT of maize.
- Recruited, trained and deployed four Farm Enterprise Advisors (FEAs).
- Facilitated linkages with extension services from the Ministry of Food and Agriculture for remote, underserved farmers.
- Provided demonstrations and training on the use of farm machinery and how to build markets for produce.
- Facilitated relationships with other MADE partners (Eco-Project Company Limited and Wumpini Agro Chemicals Company Limited).
- Introduced the Advanced Business Model.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 600 in 2017 to 2,400 in 2019.
- Increased access to inputs, credit and markets.
- Increased understanding of good agricultural practices and proper application of agro-inputs.
- Facilitated timely application of inputs (fertiliser, weedicides and pesticides).
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholders.
- Increased yields for smallholder farmers from an average of 6 to 11 bags (100 kg) per acre for maize and 5 to 10 bags (100 kg) per acre for soybean.