Prior to partnering with MADE, Vialaco Enterprise focused on the stocking and sales of a variety of agro-inputs (organic and inorganic) and the provision of after-sales services to smallholder farmers. After being introduced to various models by MADE, the firm registered more clients to go into the production of maize and vegetables. Now, Vialaco aggregates maize and vegetables from 2,500 smallholder farmers. The firm also provides market linkages and offers on-farm extension training – through the establishment of demonstration fields – on good agricultural practices and the use and efficacy of new products. In 2018, Vialaco aggregated 620 MT of both maize and onions.
- Recruited, trained and deployed seven Farm Enterprise Advisors (FEAs) and one FEA manager.
- Supported annual farm demonstrations showcasing improved seed varieties and good agricultural practices.
- Introduced the use of data management tools (M-Access/TonPos) to support sales and proper record keeping.
- Facilitated numerous network platforms and exposed Vialaco to other business partners, thus increasing input stock and turnover.
- Introduced bundled input and service delivery through the Advanced Model.
- Expanded smallholder farmer outreach from 500 in 2017 to 2,500 in 2018.
- Increased smallholder farmer access to ready market and premium prices, through the higher quality of produce.
- Increased smallholder farmers’ understanding of good agricultural practices and other improved methods.
- Increased smallholder farmers’ timely access to a variety of improved inputs.
- Increased yields for maize from 1 MT per acre to 2.5 MT per acre from 2017 to 2018, and raised incomes among smallholder farmers from GHS 120 to GHS 650 from 2017 to 2018.