Vickysaro Enterprise supplies agro-inputs to smallholder farmers who produce rice and vegetables. The business operates in Bawku West District with 435 smallholder farmers (of which about 45% are women), and each farmer cultivates an average of 1.5 acres. Through the operation of the business, its smallholder farmers have become better informed, have access to improved seed and enjoy better incomes. The business was awarded Best Enterprising Women’s Group by the Ministry of Food and Agriculture in 2012. The business joined the MADE programme in 2015. About 5.5 MT of fertiliser and 240 litres of pesticides and herbicides were supplied to farmers in 2019.
- Recruited, trained and deployed one Business Development Advisor who is responsible for providing technical training on new and improved methodologies.
- Introduced insurance for farmers.
- Invested in farm demonstrations to showcase new products and services.
- Facilitated relationships with other MADE partners for access to complementary services.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 75 to 435 between 2014 and 2015.
- Increased access to inputs, credit and markets.
- Increased understanding of good agricultural practices and the proper application of agro-inputs.
- Facilitated timely application of inputs.
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholders.
- Increased yields of rice from 5 to 13.5 bags (100 kg) per acre and of maize from 10 to 17 bags (100 kg) per acre in 2015.
- Facilitated a reduction of post-harvest losses.