YahaIddri Enterprise produces and aggregates agricultural commodities (maize, soybean, sorghum and groundnut) from smallholder farmers for processing industries. It is the largest aggregator and supplier of soybean and maize to Premier Food Company Limited, Agrisolve, Vesta Oil and Yendet Company Limited. The company provides its out-growers with agro-inputs and financial support, which they pay back after harvest. YahaIddri Enterprise works with 1,270 smallholder out-growers (of which 40% are women) in six districts, with each farmer cultivating an average of 5 acres. It joined the MADE programme in 2019 and in that year aggregated 4,500 MT of soybean and 7,000 MT of maize.
- Recruited, trained and deployed six Farm Enterprise Advisors (FEAs) and one FEA manager.
- Facilitated links with tractor services.
- Introduced insurance for farmers.
- Facilitated linkages extension services from the Ministry of Food and Agriculture for remote, underserved farmers.
- Provided demonstrations and training (training in good agricultural practices).
- Facilitated relationships with other MADE partners (Dori Farms, Antika and Great River).
- Facilitated/strengthened commercial partnerships with other enterprises.
- Introduced the Advanced Business Model.
- Increased smallholder outreach from 900 to 1,270 between 2018 and 2019.
- Increased access to inputs, credit and markets.
- Increased understanding of good agricultural practices and proper application of agro-inputs.
- Facilitated timely application of inputs.
- Improved financial forecasting and planning for smallholders.
- Increased smallholder farmers’ yields of maize from 7 to 20 bags (100 kg) per acre and soybean from 3 to 10 bags (100 kg) per acre, between 2018 and 2019.